INITIAL CHARACTER DESIGNS



Some initial character design I did for my characters in the film. I scanned in some of the sketches I did onto my computer and tried colouring some of it. At times I feel as though I'm not making my characters young enough but I don't want to make the characters too squishy so I going to try softening some of the features.


I've also been referencing Tekkonkinkreet's characters as the film has a very strong style  seen in all the characters- kids and adults. That being said, the audience can still differentiate the characters through the composition of the character's face, outfit and choice of colour. For instance, Shiro in Tekkonkinkreet is shown to be the younger brother through his choice of clothing and colour scheme which reflects his naive and child-like persona.




After sketching I decided to test out drawing the characters digitally in order to familiarise myself with drawing a couple designs that I really like. Printed tops on characters are really cute, however its difficult to animate all this detail.

Someone commented during the pitch that it might be a good idea to make the security guard older, as older characters tend to get nostalgic which would fit the flashback idea quite well. Which became quite a challenge to me as I found some difficulties drawing older characters. Even when I'm doodling, the oldest characters I draw tend to be around their 20s or 30s. So I started looking at different ways to portray my characters age without changing the style I draw in too much for easier animation.